June~ Nature and Nourish


As summer gets closer and the days warmer, our backyard and house blend into one. Our June theme comes from the good fortune that its finally easy to spend time in nature, and its that time of year that food starts magically appearing out of the earth~rhubarb, veggies greens, herbs and more.

I've had the gardening bug for years and am in the middle of preparing our vegetable garden and growing our food forest, which is now in year two! Its a slow process this year with a big heavy belly, but will be worth it in a month or two.

The subject of how we nourish our bodies is one that repeats itself over and over again, and recently showed up at our viewing of the documentary Your Second Fifty. Should we be juicing? Including smoothies? Should we cut out aggravating foods like sugar or gluten? Less fats and salts? More fats and salts? Eat locally?

There is no one answer that applies to anyone. The best advice I can suggest is to try a new habit, and check in with your body. The more you are able to pay attention to those subtle body cues, the better able you will be to fully nourish your body. Likely the more whole, clean foods will nourish you the best.

My example this month with my pregnancy is that I've had sudden food changes which may or may not be right for others. I started my pregnancy eating “low” gluten, and had sudden signals to cut it out further, and add much higher proteins and fats than before, and higher density food. We've introduced duck eggs and farm fresh eggs, whole milk, and more liver pate than I ever thought I would eat. We have more fermented foods, although my beloved kombucha has been neglected on the counter.

I was led to do this, not by following a fad, but from those crazy signals that our body uses to talk to us. Clues to use: how is my energy? Does this food cause my heart to race? Is my tummy upset after eating? Did I get a new pain after I introduced a new food? So much information that our body shares when we choose to listen.

We hope you have a nourishing June, surrounded by nature.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Appreciate- It's Patient (and Community!) Appreciation Day Soon

Outdoor Inspiration

Clay and The 12 Senses