Scott's Thoughts: September & Structure

Thanks to Scott Hutchison, Registered Massage Therapist at Elan Family Wellness Centre in Bowness, for his thoughts on our September theme: Structure! 

September and Structure. There is a certain feel to these words. One calls up visions of packed lunches and the nervousness of the first day back. The other is a wall to lean on, containing the chaos, or perhaps a solid plan.
I've mixed feelings about both. I once thought of myself as a master planner, but in truth... I'm a doer that needs a bit of motion to simulate the feels. This leads me to discover or create the structure, the master plan. It's my magic formula. If I start into structure first... I just can't seem to get what needs to be done into reality. Yes yes... planning is a form of action, but it really does not bump my energy. In fact.. it may actually drain me to a point of hiding from a challenge. When I was a kid, unavoidably, September and the new school year rolled around. It meant new uncertainties. I would be tortured with the what if's and thinking ahead to scenarios of the mind that sent me into loops that would suck the energy right out from under me. Looking back, I was better served by distraction and just arriving at the exact moment that I needed to take action. Inevitably the distraction would stimulate my brain and I would feel better. And the finality of the moment would lead to a no hiding, no where to run ... it's just what was happening next. Through the doing and bump in feeling (sometimes good, sometimes bad) ... a path, end result, or even a finished plan would emerge into my thoughts. A decision would be made and the instant.
Now, after practice and patience, I know I can do structure... and Septembers. You would not believe how many strokes of genius have occurred while “doing” something completely unrelated to a question that has been rolling around in my head.. I once completed an outline for an entire health talk while washing my hair.
How do you view structure? Is it a comfortable cave or a prison. Is it where you start? The list? The numbered items? We are all wired up different ways. Let us help you discover your core strategies.
Join Josephene and I September 11 at the Calgary Holistic Chamber for our new signature talk on 3 mistakes the entrepreneur makes with their health. Follow the link for more details.  Eventbrite Even if you don't have a business... this talk is for anyone with the drive for a bigger impact in this world. See you there!
~ Scott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Appreciate- It's Patient (and Community!) Appreciation Day Soon

Clay and The 12 Senses

Outdoor Inspiration