Behaviour by Scott

Thanks to Scott Hutchison, Registered Massage Therapist with us at Elan Family Wellness Centre in Bowness, for these thoughts on how to apply behaviour in your life! 

Do you ever find yourself stuck on the sofa with a list in your hand and no energy to do it? Have you ever had a problem that seemed so big that there was no way even to start it? Have you ever felt trapped trying to come up with a plan, but seem to chase your tail finding the correct “right” way? This is me... all the time. With some of you, this will resonate. For me, it's like a sledgehammer.

So, how does one break out of this mess? I find myself struggling with the above a lot, however, I have a different awareness over the last few years. You see, if I start from a structure or a feeling before I do a behaviour, my energy drops and nothing happens. But.... If I do something productive, almost anything productive, my confidence grows, my ability to think clears and my superpowers of strategy emerge. Presto... I find myself doing the behaviour that I initially desired and I have an abundance of energy flowing through me... carrying me towards my goal and fulfilling my whys.

Here in an example. I have spent the last 2 weeks humming and hawing about a speakers retreat that happens to be 1 1/2hrs from my Mom's house in Arizona. It would seem like a no-brainer, two birds with one stone, but because habitually I fall into perception (feeling about something)... it's taken me 2 weeks to try and reason out a strategy and logic the emotional anchors. Basically... do nothing about it because I wasn't feeling like everything was gonna work out. Yesterday I did a lot of behaviour things. Swimming with the kids being a big one. This morning I put my foot down and did the behaviour. I'm going... flights are booked, signed up for the retreat and all that is left is hotel and transport. Simple... and I feel 1000000% better than I did before I booked it. I am now moving on to doing other amazing things.

Try “just doing” next time your find yourself in the middle of procrastination by analysis. It doesn't even have to be related to the task or problem at hand, but I might just bump your energy enough to jump right into it. It's not for everyone, but for me.... it results in a 50% increase in personal energy that carries me through to other things that are on my radar. Like this bloody article... that I have been humming and hawing over.
Done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Appreciate- It's Patient (and Community!) Appreciation Day Soon

Clay and The 12 Senses

Outdoor Inspiration