Calgary Climbing Center

I have a fear of heights and a plan to hike the West Coast Trail this summer.  The trail just happens to have numerous ladders, suspension bridges and cable cars, so I need to get over my fear. Fast!

So I did the only logical thing and booked us a Beginner Lesson at the Calgary Climbing Centre, which is located just minutes from our home and office. While I thought we'd be learning how to climb (yes, but not really), what we were really learning was how to get the harness on properly, how to tie our rope to our harness, how the belay system works (and how to properly and safely hook that on) and how to communicate succinctly when you are climbing and belaying. Once that's all figured out, then you get to climb. By the way, the lesson was excellent and we had a great teacher. 


I conveniently have NO photos of me clinging to the rope. Once I was hooked up, climbing up the wall was okay-picking the easy holds of course. The torture for me was stopping and then realizing I had to get down and I was at the utter mercy of my partner-who just happened to also be my husband. Letting go of my holds and getting myself into an "L" shaped position-torture. Yelling "Lower" (or usually, what am I supposed to say to come down?!!?) and then patiently waiting for a painstaking descent. 

It was Type B fun. A definition I learned that day from one of the staff members with reference to his hiking the West Coast Trail. Possibly in continuous rain, but most of the WCT stories are blending in my memory. Not necessarily fun at the time, but definitely fun after the fact when you look back on it. Fun in an adrenaline boosting way. There were a few tears as well. 


It was enjoyable and a start to my overcoming my fear of heights. We'll likely make it back once we get tested that we can belay AND we figure out how we can make this a family activity. Happy climbing to all of you! Isn't this a beautiful facility?!?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Appreciate- It's Patient (and Community!) Appreciation Day Soon

Outdoor Inspiration

Vegan